Pages

Thursday, January 18, 2018

2018 Reading Challenge - A Classic (or 2)

The first book I read for my personal reading challenge inspired by the Modern Mrs. Darcy's reading challenge (goal: stretch my genres) was Hemingway's To Have and Have Not. I don't believe I had read it before but certainly haven't read any of his books since I was a teen or young adult.

I had forgotten how "choppy" or unfinished his writing style seems and how dark his stories can be. However it is engaging and a fast read.

I had picked it in light of our ongoing challenging relationship with Cuba and the brief potential thaw including how resuming a ferry between Key West and Havana seemed a possibility before the election of the current President.

I'm going to read Pollyana next for my children's classic choice.


For February I'm jumping to "a memoir, biography, or book of creative nonfiction" and reading Personal Memoirs by Ulysses S. Grant. For the children's lit part I think I'll read Prairie Fires: the American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Caroline Fraser.

What is on your reading list?

4 comments:

  1. I'm taking the year off from reading challenges (as the one I did last year took major commitment and time). I do like the structure they give to my selection process though, so I'm sure I will go back to one next year. Love reading about your choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall you had quite a long list for your challenge. I like this one as it is just one a month!

      Delete
  2. I don't do specific challenges though they sound like fun; I already have hundreds of books on shelves clammering to be read. One classic author I read every year is Anthony Trollope, love his novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read any of Trollope's books. Thanks for an addition to my list!

      Delete

Thriving Thursday Week 12 - Spring is here and so are bugs

Welcome to Spring!  It was a nice sunny and warm week so we took a scenic drive exploring parts of Berkeley near the campus and the hills be...